Friday, June 7, 2013

Organization...My theme for next year!

 Organization, this has been my greatest downfall in my classroom.  I always have good intentions of how I will set up my classroom each year, and each year I fail.  I have even read Debbie Diller's book Spaces and Places in the hopes that it would help. (This is a great resource for ideas, and I highly recommend it!) Hopefully Debbie can help you come up with and follow her ideas for organization in your classroom.


But for me, I have several ideas about why this keeps happening...maybe because I have too many ideas on how to organize...maybe because of all the meetings that take over my life in August...maybe because I just need help to down size my stash...maybe all three...

Or maybe, I just need a better plan...

This summer I plan to organize a different part of my classroom before I return to set it all up. I will share my entire plan and journey on this blog all summer long, so you can join me and hopefully become inspired to do the same in your own way.

First up-My desk

I have a rather large L shaped built in desk without any drawers underneath (I will add a picture when I can get back up to take one).  Not having any drawers has made for quite a messy problem on a daily basis.  A few years ago I purchased a 22-drawer organizer.  I know WAY before they became popular. However, over the years it has become a bit shabby.  The labels were peeling off and it lacked creativity and finesse

My old "ugly" organization  toolbox



See ugly!!! 

So, I spray painted the whole box white and added the following labels.  You can purchase and print your own set from TPT here: Teacher Toolbox Labels

Here is the final product:

New clean looking toolbox

Top view: White top-might add a ribbon over the top and sides
 
Sorry they are such bad pictures, I need a better camera, but you can get an idea about what it looks like.  I used a small amount of tape to hold the labels in place.  I saw on one site where someone suggested that you laminate the paper first and then tape it in.  That would definitely help keep it from tearing in the future. However, my students almost never use this, so I am not too worried about that. 

As my first start at organization, my hope is that this small step will continue all school year.  

Next up: Organization for UNDER my desk...Stay tuned!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment